Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> On Oct 29, 2004, at 8:17 PM, Karen Coyle wrote:
>
>> Another form of this question might be: can you get high quality
>> metadata when you transform MODS to {docbook|bibtex|etc.}? I took a
>> quick look at the docbook data elements and it would take some study to
>> find equivalencies between it and MODS.

It seems like exporting from very detailed MODS records to looser
records should be fairly easy, just use the genre field as a template.
So for example if it is a "conference paper", then (for bibtex) grab the
booktitle from the 'host''s title field, the authors from the creator
names, etc. And put it in an 'inproceedings' block. Yes, certainly there
would be transformations that don't make any sense.

Clearly going from something like arbitrary MODS -> Bibtex -> MODS is
problematic.

The attraction for me of using XSLT is that it is very easy to integrate
with Java programs, it is a 'standard' for web-stuff, and can
potentially make things simpler than using a C program.

Certainly an XSLT that converts from MODS records to say, IEEE (or your
favorite professional society's) bibliography format would be valuable.

-michael