From:   Denise Bennett
Subject:        RE: Physical description of remote resources

Jimmie and all:
I feel strongly that the Phys Desc field should convey useful information
for the patron.  I teach patrons to observe if a book is 250 pages as
opposed to 5 or 1000, and if an article is 10 pages as opposed to 1 or 50,
and they understand when I explain size relativity.  Therefore, I would like
to see the number of slides or minutes included.

I like this one:   1 presentation (53 slides) : col., digital, HTML file
because the # of slides conveys meaning.  If the creator adds or cuts a few
slides, "53" still means "not just 5" and "way less than 200".  I also like
using "slides" instead of "powerpoint".  "Slides" is generic and accurate;
it avoids the "ppt" problem while making instant sense to the potential
user.  The format expands to a frames environment or to a set, where we
could use:  3 presentations (7, 53, 20 slides) : if appropriate.

 I like any of these because they include playing time (6 min vs 45 min) as
well as file size (which may matter to the downloader):
1 sound file (6 min., 5.3 megabytes) : digital, stereo., mp3 file
1 sound file (6 min.) (5.3 megabytes) : digital, stereo., mp3 file
1 sound file (6 min.) : digital, stereo., mp3 file Note: File size: 5.3
megabytes.
1 sound file (5.3 megabytes) : digital, stereo., mp3 file Note: Playing
time: 6 min.
with a slight preference for the 1st because it's the most succint.

--Denise

From:   Ann Lindell
I agree.  Physical description is important.  Especially when it concerns
non-text, visual information.  The more detail the better! Pagination,
running-time, file type/size---All good!

As for the term "slides", over here in Architecture/Fine Arts, that word
connotes the physical, 2-inch, 35mm variety.  If we're going to use the word
"slide" in the description, I'd like a qualifier: "digital slides", or "35mm
slides", etc.

--Ann Lindell

As for me, when I am using the catalog I find it helpful to know a little
about what I'll be getting into if I click on a link to an electronic
resource. Those who regularly use electronic resources of specific natures
can be a helpful resource to advise us on how to choose a term from the
relevant chapter or a "term in common usage". Thanks for the interesting
questions.
--Jimmie