Hello, Brian,

You should be using splicing tape. I assume you're adding it so that you
can play back tapes that have inadequate leader for playing on a
professional machine (I do it all the time).

There is both paper and plastic leader tape. I have had one instance where
the plastic leader tape laminated to the first layer of oxide and ripped
off the start of one of my tapes (it was wound tails-out). Fortunately, I
had a protection copy and easily fixed it.

So, if you have one turn of no-audio, then that is a non-issue.

I use the paper leader most of the time these days because of that. I leave
it on--it isn't worth salvaging and it makes it easier for the next person
to play the tape.

Splicing tape is called that and is available at a few places, I think.
Here is one place I've done business with in the past
http://www.arcal.com/audsplictap.html

Cheers,

Richard
Vignettes Media