JAC ballot 2004-09 - Hindustani

Submitted by: Peter Constable

(A) Inclusion:

(1)
___ I am in favour of including Hindustani in the alpha-3 code table of
ISO
639-2.

_X_ I am opposed to including Hindustani in the alpha-3 code table of
ISO
639-2.

Comments:
I would like additional information explaining the relationship between
Hindustani, Hindi and Urdu. In particular, we need information that will
allow us to determine whether Hindustani should be considered a
macrolanguage encompassing Hindi and Urdu.

(B) Identifier:

(2)
_X_ I accept the identifier "hiu".

___ I do not accept the identifier "hiu".

Comments:
This identifier would be acceptable if and when we approve Hindustani.

(C) Names:

(3)
_X_ I accept the English name "Hindustani".

___ I do not accept the English name "Hindustani".

Comments:
This name would be acceptable if and when we approve Hindustani.

(4)
_X_ I accept the French name "hindustani".

___ I do not accept the French name "hindustani".

Comments:
This name would be acceptable if and when we approve Hindustani.

(5)
_X_ I accept the indigenous name "hindustani".

___ I do not accept the indigenous name "hindustani".

Comments:
This name would be acceptable if and when we approve Hindustani.

(D) General comments:

* * * *

ORIGINAL SUBMISSION:

This data was submitted on: Wednesday, May 5, 2004 at 15:19:22

lang_in_eng = Hindustani
lang_in_fre = Hindustani
ref_where_found_1 = Rashtriya Sahitya Akademi, India lang_in_vern =
Hindustani ref_where_found_2 = Rashtriya Sahitya Akademi, India
trans_lit =
evidence = Rashtriya Sahitya Akademi, India (60-100)
addinfo = About 40-50 % of speakers of the Hindi language actually speak
Hindustani. The Government of India does not officially recognise it but
this is the language from which Hindi and Urdu evolved. All over
India(mainly northern parts) and Pakistan request_addition = ISO 639-1
and
ISO 639-2 2_code_suggestion = hn 3_code_suggestion = hnd submit_name =
Arjun
Aggarwal submit_email = [log in to unmask] submit_status = Speaker
of
the language and this is my first language.

* * * *

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

This has been discussed on the JAC email list.

Although "Hindustani" is normally thought to be the "superset" of Hindi,
Urdu, and other variants, the statement in the submission "About 40-50 %
of
speakers of the Hindi language actually speak Hindustani" is somewhat
strange.

Still, the issue is probably whether a "macro-language" or "language
group"
identifier for Hindustani is needed in Part 2. Alternatively, the item
may
be encoded in the future Part 5.

An alpha-2 identifier is proposed. The proposed identifier "hn" is
available. However, there doesn't seem to be evidence to support the
assignment of an alpha-2 identifier, an this is not balloted on.

The proposed alpha-3 identifier (hnd) is taken by a different item in
639-3.
This ballot proposes "hiu", which is available.