JAC ballot 2004-11 - Ainu

Please vote by 2004-11-19

Please see additional information below.

Ballot submitted by (your name): Glenn Patton

(A) Inclusion:

(1)
_XX I am in favour of including Ainu in the alpha-3 code table of ISO 639-2.

___ I am opposed to including Ainu in the alpha-3 code table of ISO 639-2.

[There is a request for an alpha-2 identifier as well. However, that will
not be voted on.]

Comments:

(B) Identifier:

(2)
_XX I accept the identifier "ain".

___ I do not accept the identifier "ain".

Comments:

(C) Names:

(3)
_XX I accept the English name "Ainu".

___ I do not accept the English name "Ainu".

Comments:

(4)
_XX I accept the French name "anou".

___ I do not accept the French name "anou".

Comments:

(5)
_XX I accept the indigenous name "ainu".

___ I do not accept the indigenous name "ainu".

Comments:

(D) General comments:

* * * *

ORIGINAL SUBMISSION:

This data was submitted on: Friday, August 13, 2004 at 06:49:36

lang_in_eng = AINU
lang_in_fre = ANOU
ref_where_found_1 =
lang_in_vern = "AINU" means "human".
ref_where_found_2 = The Ainu people did not have a character. trans_lit =
evidence = National Diet Library(1274)
for example http://jinbunweb.sgu.ac.jp/~ainu/biblio/european.html
http://www.tooyoo.l.u-tokyo.ac.jp/ichel/archive/ainu.html

The AINU Museum(6000) http://www.ainu-museum.or.jp/english/english.html

addinfo = AINU language: 15 active speakers (1996).
In the ethnic group: about 15,000 in Japan (second language). see next URL:
http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=AIN
http://www.helsinki.fi/~tasalmin/nasia_report.html#Ainu
request_addition = ISO 639-1 and ISO 639-2
2_code_suggestion = AI
3_code_suggestion = AIN
submit_name = OSADA, Takaharu
submit_email = [log in to unmask]
submit_status = Chairman of the Japanese National Committee for ISO/TC37/SC2

* * * *

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

This has been submitted for discussion on the JAC email list. There have
been few comments, and no arguments against the alpha-3 identifier. No-one
has been in favour of adding an alpha-2 identifier.

The alpha-3 identifier "ain" is used for this item in draft 639-3.