I think we need to distinguish here between ZING and SRW.

There was a fairly long debate but the upshot is that we aren't adding Update to SRW. There are some nomenclature issues to be ironed out, but I hope we don't call it SRW Update (or Update for SRW) etc.

What we are edging towards is having a family of WebService (lets call that ZING, but again nomenclature hasn't been resolved), which include SRW and Update (and possibly others). Each of these could stand alone, but could also be used together (and combined may eventually provide the same functionality of Z39.50 over WebService).

There is a question of whether an Update service is really needed (given that there are other approaches) - I've drafted an initial summary of other approaches and how they could relate to the Update service discussions at http://www.ceridwen.com/srw/record-update/crud.html

Matthew