Hi Everyone,
I'd like to invite you to help us test a new venue for offering programs to our many audiences.  Another colleague, Mary Mohr, and I have been field testing web conferencing software and the types of programs and audiences best suited for the medium.  So far, we've been working with public library audiences that work with the blind, as well as members of the sight-impaired community.

We'd like to broaden our pilot tests to include other audiences, and thought we'd start with you!

Participation would be fairly painless.  At the very least, all you need is access to a web browser on Dec. 8 at 2 pm, EST.  At the most, you'd want to add a headset with microphone attached (mine came from Radio Shack).  This particular program focuses on movies, so you'd want a computer that could play the movies on the LC web site.

The software works behind the scenes on the web site and gives us the capability to speak to each other over the Internet, do text chat, and synchronized browsing (I click on a page and you follow.).

Of course, after the program, Mary and I would appreciate any comments (program ideas, critiques, etc.) you'd care to send via email.  We hope you will join us and help us explore the possibilities of this form of electronic communication - as well as its potential mine fields.

The press release (with web site information) is below:

Library of Congress presents...At the Movies...Holiday Entertainment for the Whole Family! From Edison's first films to high-tech webcasts, these films offer a glimpse of life in schools, factories, leisure activities, and towns. Put on the popcorn, adjust your computer screen (RealMedia and Windows Media Player needed), and enjoy!

Wednesday, December 8, beginning at 2:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, 1:00 Central, noon Mountain, and 11:00 a.m. Pacific.

To attend go to http://www.tcconference.com/lib/?auditorium&nopass_field=1
Type your name and click enter to go into the online room.
If you have questions, contact Judy Graves at the Library of Congress at [log in to unmask]

Hope to "see" you Dec. 8th.  If not, have a wonderful holiday season,
Judy
Judith K. Graves
Digital Projects Coordinator
Library of Congress