> Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 22:58:57 +0000
> From: Dr Robert Sanderson <[log in to unmask]>
>
> >> foo.text any "http://a.b.c/d/e z3950r:a.b.c.d/e?f=g"
> >>
> >> If you were to tell me that the term structure was word, I would find you
> >> the following words:
> >>    "http a b c d e z3950r a b c d e f g"
> >>
> >> But if you tell me that it's a string, I'll find you one string. If
> >> you tel me it's a URI, then I'll find you two URIs like you
> >> intended.
> >
> > Wow.  That is one contrived example!  :-)
>
> Not at all.  When searching full text, finding URIs is very useful,
> especially in footnotes or reference sections.

Perhaps.  Although (as I said off-list to Eliot) I stuggle to imagine
a situation where adjacent keywords don't get the job done perfectly
well, with more flexibility to boot.

> Another example:
>
> zeerex.set =/cql.uri "info:srw/context-set/1/dc-v1.1"
> vs
> zeerex.set =/zeerex.oid "1.2.840.....3"

I'm not sure what this is an example _of_.

> >> weather.temperature = 3
> >> I'm going to treat that as a number unless told otherwise because
>
> > deweyDecimalCode = 123.0
> > You'd better not treat that as matching records with DDC "123".
>
> Sure, because the index is DDC, not numeric.

But you were arguing that we can determine the structure by lexical
analysis of the term itself.

I am -- I think -- prepared to accept that the default structure of
the term (unless overridden by an explicit relation modifier, of
course) can be implied by the index name.  I think this is a horrible
feature for a language to have, but the pragmatic case is just too
strong to answer.

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor  <[log in to unmask]>  http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "Always avoid and eschew pleonastic redundancy" --
         Unattributed, on TFTD mailing list.