Richard S.,
2000 names is not that many in my experience.

The total is probably less if you could create a unique name list.

Maybe the vendor could supply a unique name list (XML) as a
pre-coding step.

The name list could then be checked and any normalizing could occur.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!-- 14 January 2005 -->
<!-- lookup document for X collection -->
<!-- document generated by X -->

<document>
  <name>
    <source>Richard Shrake</source>
    <normal>Richard Shrake</normal>
  </name>
</document>

Initally, the output could put the same name in both <source> and
<normal>.

Your people could go through the list and change whatever names
should be changed (simply inverting the based on the presence of the
first ' ' is hardly an accurate assumption).
Once finished, the list could be re-submitted to the vendor.
The vendor could then use it for a look up document during his
processing of your data. Or maybe you could put it in your database
before the vendor generates the EAD?

I don't think it would take that long to do this. I think a list like
this could be done in less than a day.

Mike Ferrando
Library Technician
Music Division