RLG is pleased to announce an innovative application for the archival
community. RLG's EAD Report Card--the first Web application that
automatically checks the quality of your EAD encoding--is freely
available.

Created by popular demand, the tool supplements RLG's award-winning RLG
Best Practice Guidelines for Encoded Archival Description. Whether or not
you've already been working with these guidelines, this tool will help
quality control and productivity, by ensuring conformance  with
community-wide guidelines. Once you upload one of your finding aids, the
program will flag any discrepancies. It also cites the relevant part of
the guidelines, so you can fix what you have wrong on the spot.

The EAD Report Card can be accessed here:

www.rlg.org/en/page.php?Page_ID=20513

The EAD Best Practice Guidelines are also available:

www.rlg.org/en/page.php?Page_ID=450

We welcome your feedback. Tell us what you think via the feedback link in
the EAD Web application, or send email to Merrilee Proffitt,

RLG commissioned the EAD Report Card as part of our continuing commitment
to making archival collections more accessible on the Web. We also offer
RLG Archival Resources, a database of archival materials. All institutions
are encouraged to contribute their finding aids to this growing resource;
to add yours, go to: http://www.rlg.org/en/page.php?Page_ID=117

*RLG (www.rlg.org) supports researchers and learners worldwide by
expanding access to research materials held in libraries, archives, and
museums. RLG works with and for its member organizations enhancing their
ability to provide research resources. RLG designs and delivers innovative
information discovery services, organizes collaborative programs, and
takes an active role in creating and promoting relevant standards and
practices.

Best wishes for the (relatively) new year,

Merrilee

Merrilee Proffitt
RLG -- www.rlg.org
2029 Stierlin Court, Suite 100, Mountain View, CA  94043 USA
voice: +1-650-691-2309