Hello, and Happy New Year, Educatters!

I am on the Dewey Decimal Classification Editorial Policy Committee.  I
more or less represent the folks who teach Dewey.  In that capacity, I
have been asked to write an article about teaching Dewey.  I have my own
experience to draw upon, but I also know from experience that many of you
have excellent ideas about teaching that have never crossed my mind.

I'm wondering if you would be willing to share with me.  What things do
you find particularly problematic about teaching Dewey?  What innovative
methods have you tried that worked?  that didn't work?  How does it
compare with teaching other classifications (usually LCC, but also UDC).
How does it mesh with the teaching of Classification (or Categorization)
as a general concept?

I will acknowledge you as the source of ideas I use in the article, and if
I want to quote what you say, I will ask your permission first.  Feel free
to write to me off list, but I think a discussion among us would be
interesting as well.

Thank you very much,
Arlene

Arlene G. Taylor  **  Professor Emerita
Department of Library and Information Science
School of Information Sciences
University of Pittsburgh  **  Pittsburgh, PA  15260
e-mail: [log in to unmask]  **  voice: 412-624-9452
fax: 412-648-7001  **  http://www.pitt.edu/~agtaylor