My library can't afford the on-line Dewey, so for those like me who have
the books, emphasize hand updating them from the OCLC Dewey site for new
and changed entries. http://www.oclc.org/dewey/updates/new/default.htm
Those entries only stay there for 6 months or so, so it is important for
us hard copy people to get them right away.

Secondly, again, useful only for hard copy Dewey users, I put our Dewey
use notes right in the books, as we have some personnel who do
cataloging for only 4 or 8 hrs.. out of their work week.  What tripped
me up was that I hadn't marked the pages where I did this (the skinny
post-it flags are good for this), so I've been having to turn every page
in the Dewey 21s to find those notes.  When I'm done, all the relevant
pages in the Dewey22 will be marked, making the transition to Dewey23,
when it comes, easier.  These are notes such as prefer or use some other
number, adding program names to the labels for computer books, use
shorter number for a specific topic and carry it out for all related
topics (using a short number for the Titanic disaster and expanding it
for all other North Atlantic shipwrecks comes to mind.)

As far as actually teaching the numbers, all I can say it, read the fine
print and follow it.

Sometimes a dictionary helps to translate the headings into common language.

I do wish I was closer to somewhere (Ketchikan is on an island, 1 hr.,
37 min. flying time from Seattle, no roads in or out) that I could take
a course on Dewey 800s.  I was science track, not literature track in
college, and so have no background for using them. I read, re-read, look
at the DDC numbers in the books; sometimes it makes sense, sometimes not.

Hope this is moderately useful. :-)

Kris Kuhns
Cataloger
Ketchikan Public Library