and August 2005.) Intended for intermediate catalogers and experienced
catalogers needing training in this area, this two-day workshop will
focus on editing or creating the description and access elements of more
complicated book records. Although the workshop examples will be for
books, the rules covered can be applied to all types of materials. (This
workshop does not cover subject headings, classification, or specific
details on cataloging non-print materials.)

Date
Wednesday, September 28--Thursday, September 29, 2005

Time
9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Registration begins at 8:30 a.m.
There is no entry to the Library of Congress prior to 8:30 a.m.

Place
Dining Room A, 6th floor, Madison Building, The Library of Congress
Use the Main Entrance at 1st and Independence Avenue, S.E., Washington,
D.C.

Metro
Capitol South (Orange and Blue Lines)

Sponsor
FLICC Education Working Group

Registration
$200 (charge to FEDLINK Training Account/FT)
$216 (for all other transactions).

Register online at http://www.loc.gov/flicc/feveform.html. To view a
PDF version of this Meeting Announcement, visit
http://www.loc.gov/flicc/ma/2005/ma0516.pdf.

Email [log in to unmask] or call (202) 707-6362 TTY five business days in
advance for ADA Accommodations.

Information
Call FLICC (202) 707-4800; TTY (202) 707-4995

Cancellations
Cancellations must be called into the FLICC office (202-707-4800) 48
hours prior to the start  of an educational program or the full fee will
be charged.

Really good cataloging does not come easily. It takes commitment to
details to figure out how to handle some of the trickier cataloging
problems that can arise. Book Blitz I covered the easy rules, but in
Book Blitz II, be prepared for the more complex cataloging rules!

Once you are comfortable with finding your way around the basic
cataloging tools--the Anglo American Cataloguing Rules (AACR2R), Library
of Congress Rule Interpretations (LCRI), and the MARC coding standards
(MARC21)--you will be ready to tackle the harder stuff, for example:

* Parallel titles
* Part titles
* Confusing statements of responsibility
* Collections
* More on series
* More on personal name, corporate, conference, and uniform title
headings
* Verifying name and title headings against the LC Authority files

Recommended prerequisites: Book Blitz I or equivalent knowledge of
cataloging rules before coming to this workshop.

Required text: Cataloging with AACR2R and MARC21, 2nd ed., by Deborah
A. Fritz. Chicago: American Library Association, 2004. ISBN:
0-8389-0884-5.
Attendees must purchase book and bring it to the program.

For more cataloging training, mark your calendar for these three
workshops:

* MARC21 In Your Library--February 28, 2005
* Just for Copy Cats--March 1-2, 2005, and
* Book Blitz I: Making MARC Records That Work--August 15-18, 2005

For more information, call (202) 707-4800 or visit the FLICC Web site
at   http://www.loc.gov/flicc/.