It's true for top-level element declarations only. Local element
declarations are scoped to their surrounding complexType definition:
e.g. in MODS there are two elements named <extent>, both in the same
namespace but with different types. One is local to the content model
for <physicalDescription>, and the other local to the content model for
<part>.

--Andy

>>> [log in to unmask] 01/26/05 9:33 AM >>>
Oh, wait; I think I misread you.  You're telling me the element names
must be different if you have different named definitions.  Right?