From: "Bruce D'Arcus" <[log in to unmask]>
> Why does MODS allow mods:mods as root?  It seems to add another
> variable that one must take into account in processing (as in, I can
> never know what the root is), with zero benefit.

I'm not sure I understand the question.

MODS allows a number of possible root elements in order to declare those
elements global, but a "MODS record"  has to have root <mods>.   (Thus a
"mods instance" and a "mods record" are not the same thing --  "instance"
as in the xml definition of "instance", vs.  "record",  the mods defintion
of "record".)   Does that address the question?

--Ray