Rebecca S. Guenther wrote:

>So my proposal is to define <part> as a MODS element. The user could
>choose whether to use it at the MODS level or related item level. It would
>provide more flexibility and would allow relatedItem to be recursive and
>include any MODS element. It would solve the problem of being required to
>have one MODS element in addition to <part>. And it wouldn't invalidate
>any existing records.

Rebecca, I'm trying to figure out what kind of data element Part is, at
least in MARC terms. Is it a title modifier, the way that Volume is a
modifier on a series statement? And how does this Part differ from the
partNumber and partName in the titleInfo area? Couldn't the title field be:

<titleInfo>
        <title>Journal of Blotz</title>
        <partName>Volume</partName>
        <partNumber>3</partNumber>