On Jan 3, 2005, at 5:26 PM, Ray Denenberg, Library of Congress wrote:

> What I meant was, we'd need to come up with a table of which
> authority/related combinations are valid and enforce based on that.
> Seems
> like that would be a nightmare (though I haven't really thought it
> through)
> and we'd probably get the table wrong anyway.

Let's see;  a quick idea:

<mads xmlns="http://www.loc.gov/mads">
   <person>
     <name>
       <authority>
         <givenname>Bill</givenname>
         <familyname>Clinton</familyname>
       </authority>
       <variant type="alternate">
         <givenname>William</givenname>
         <familyname>Clinton</familyname>
       </variant>
     </name>
     <related type="whatever">
        <geographic>United States</geographic>
     </related>
   </person>
</mads>

Validate authority/variant (easy with the above structure), and leave
related uncontrolled?

Bruce