Language is already separate from the title, thus,

<mods>
  <titleInfo type="uniform">
    <title>Harry Potter and the prisoner of Azkaban</title>
  </titleInfo>
  <language>
    <languageTerm type="text">Spanish</languageTerm>
  </language>
</mods>

--Andy

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> Why not:
>
> <titleInfo lang="es">
>   <title>Harry Potter and the prisoner of Azkaban</title>
> </titleInfo>

Doesn't that indicate that the TITLE is in Spanish?

Putting the language in the uniform title is a peculiarity of library
cataloging, but it's also the case that uniform titles have some
interesting potential for FRBR, so I agree that it would be a good
idea
to separate the actual title from the language qualifier. That could
be
either a new data element in the title or it could be added to the
attributes. I think if we are coding it separately it would be good to
give it a name that shows that it's the language of translation.
Something like:

<titleInfo type="uniform">
  <title>Harry Potter and the prisoner of Azkaban.</title>
  <translation>Spanish</translation>
</titleInfo>

or

<titleInfo type="uniform" translation="Spanish">
  <title>Harry Potter and the prisoner of Azkaban.</title>
</titleInfo>

kc

--
[log in to unmask] http://www.kcoyle.net