That's what I originally thought, i.e. ISO 639-2 codes more languages
than RFC 3066. But the part of RFC 3066 I quoted indicates that it
supports ISO 639-2 (second bullet point below). So the even for purposes
of MARC compatibility, the lang attribute is redundant and all
occurences of it can be replaced by xml:lang.

--Andy

>>> [log in to unmask] 01/18/05 10:43 AM >>>
We had this discussion while we were developing MODS in Dec. 2002--
see
the archives. I don't see any reason to rehash it. There was support
for
allowing for both of these standards for encoding language.

ISO 639-2 IS a standard and widely used. It provides for many more
languages than ISO 639-1. Libraries have been using what is ISO 639-2
for
over 30 years in all flavors of MARC and this must be supported. The
RFC
may alternatively be used.

I can give more information on the difference between the two, but it
might be sufficient just to look at the archives.

Rebecca

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005, Andrew E Switala wrote:

> Ack, speaking of not realizing things, I thought Internet language
> specifications were based on ISO 639-1 with an optional country code
> (e.g. en-US). Checking RFC 3066, I see this is not the case;
xml:lang
> can be used for two-letter or three-letter language codes and more:
> ""
>    - All 2-letter subtags are interpreted according to assignments
found
>      in ISO standard 639, "Code for the representation of names of
>      languages" [ISO 639], or assignments subsequently made by the
ISO