The LITA-ALCTS CCS "Authority Control in the Online Environment Interest
Group" (ACIG) will meet on Sunday, January 16, from 2:00-5:30 pm in the
Hynes Convention Center, Room 210, during the ALA Midwinter Meeting in
Boston. The majority of the meeting will be devoted to presentations by our
guest speakers; during the final hour we will conduct our regular business
meeting. Please join us for the presentations, the business meeting, or both!

1. "Library of Congress Update"
Ann Della Porta, Acting Coordinator, Integrated Systems Office, Library of
Congress, will provide an update on various issues relating to authority
control at LC, including the recently-proposed changes to headings for
government-designated parks and forests.

2. "RLG Update"
Ed Glazier, Principal Analyst, RLG, will bring us up-to-date on
developments at RLG, with special focus on the new RLIN21 system, including
database conversion issues, heading indexing and display decisions, and new
policies for NACO participants.
**Please note the following change: Ed Glazier will not be able to join us,
as orginally planned and publicized; however, he will provide a brief
written report that will be read aloud at the meeting.

3. "OCLC Update"
Glenn Patton, Director, WorldCat Quality Management, OCLC, Inc., will
provide an update on authorities-related topics at OCLC, including database
cleanup activities, progress on the migration of authorities functionality
to Connexion, what's coming over the next six months, and plans beyond that.

4. "Out of the Box, Not Out of Control: Authority Work for Unusual Fields"
Robert L. Maxwell, Special Collections and Ancient Languages Catalog
Librarian and Genre/Form Authorities Librarian, Brigham Young University,
will give an overview of BYU's efforts to put two somewhat unusual fields
under authority control--the 510 (citation note) and the 752 (hierarchical
place name)--in addition to standard name, title, subject, and genre/form
headings. He will address why indexing these two fields might be useful and
how BYU maintains control over the fields.

5.  "Anatomia Exposed!: Subject Access for a Digital Special Collection"
Marlene van Ballegooie, Digital Collections Librarian, University of
Toronto Libraries, will provide an introduction to the making of the
digital collection "Anatomia 1522-1867: Anatomical Plates from the Thomas
Fisher Rare Book Library," with special focus on metadata and authority
control issues. She will highlight the site's use of MeSH terminology and
hierarchical browsing features to facilitate subject access to a category
of materials that might otherwise remain "hidden" from medical historians.

6. "ALCTS CCS SAC Task Force on Named Buildings & Other Structures"
Elizabeth O'Keefe, Director of Collection Information Systems, Pierpont
Morgan Library, will report on the work of this task force and the
recommendations contained in its final report. The group was charged to
review the various issues relating to the question of whether headings for
buildings and other structures should be established in the subject vs. the
name authority file.

7. "ACIG Business Meeting"
Agenda items include: program planning, our bibliography project, the ALA
draft strategic plan, and whether to switch our official ALCTS status from
discussion group to interest group (we are already a LITA interest group).

Manon Théroux
Chair, Authority Control in the Online Environment Interest Group (ACIG)

Authority Control Librarian
Yale University Library
P.O. Box 208240
New Haven, CT 06520-8240