> Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 14:23:33 +0000
> From: Dr Robert Sanderson <[log in to unmask]>
>
> > also think there may be a role for more specific "any"-like
> > indexes corresponding to specific interpretations on Matthew's
> > list (and maybe other interpretations not on that list, including
> > the interpretation "search all fields even if they're not indexed,
> > using grep on the raw data files if necessary").
>
> I'm not sure that it makes much sense to say 'I don't know what I
> want, nor what you have, but I want it to be from only one index'.
> What's the use case for such a distinction?

I can't think of one, but Matthew seemed to think it was important.

> How about the following:
>
> ----------
> cql.serverChoice:
>
> This index is used with the index (and relation) are omitted from a
> search clause.  The server will choose one or more indexes for the
> given term, which may or may not otherwise be accessible to the end
> user.

Typo: s/with/when/

I think we should be more specific about the server's licence to chose
different indexes depending on whether the term likes like "Levan,
Ralph" or "1998-03-18".

The fact that this index is used when no index is specified in a CQL
clause should not be part of the index's specification -- that's a
property of CQL rather than of the serverChoice index.

> cql.allIndexes:
>
> Previously named cql.anywhere.
> The server will search all indexes which are accessible to the end user
> via CQL, in all context sets.
>
> cql.allKnown:
>
> The server will search all indexes which it has access to, even if the end
> user does not.
>
> cql.allFields
>
> The server will attempt to search the complete record, potentially
> including fields not indexed and not available via CQL to the end user.

This seems pretty good to me, except that I have some sympathy with
Ralph's idea that "allKnown" and "allIndexes" should be switched.

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor  <[log in to unmask]>  http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "So where is the innovation?  The innovation is the talking
         paper clip in Microsoft Office.  Is that real innovation?" --
         Mitchell Kertzman, Chairman and CEO, Sybase.