At 02:50 PM 2/6/2005 -0800, John Erdmann wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I am a grad student in the MLIS program at the University of
>Washington, currently taking a class on Archiving.  I am working with
>two other students on a group research paper, the topic of which is
>"Digitizing Sound Files for Preservation and Access".  We want to
>focus on the challenges of such projects, in terms of technology,
>remote access, and (possibly) the surrounding legal issues.  What are the
>challenges that Sound and Music Archivists currently face?  We would
>appreciate any ideas, comments, or direction toward good literature
>on this topic.
>
>Thanks much!
>
>John

Permit me to suggest that you browse the archives of this list.

You are covering very broad subjects which have been discussed here at
length - in short, you're in the right group and will probably find most of
the issues and most of the variations of opinion in our history. As for
someone preparing a precis which consolidates those issues - that's what
grad students are for. <VBG>

Mike
http://www.mrichter.com/