At 10:30 PM 2/22/2005, Steven C. Barr wrote:

>The interesting thing is, that based on several criteria: Lifespan (and
>absence of natural deterioration); ease of data recovery; obviousness that
>the artifact contains data and how to retrieve that data...the best choice
>would seem to be the shellac disc! However, nobody makes them, or even
>makes the equipment to make them!

Steve,

Almost two years ago, on 2003-04-01, NPR reported that this was indeed the
future of sound recording.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1216161

The article even mentions our own Steve Smolian <grin, duck, and run>

Cheers,

Richard

Richard L. Hess                           email: [log in to unmask]
Vignettes