I must say I'm surprised and heartened by the fact
that there's even an
interest in old Japanese recordings, and I'm not sure
how, I've managed to
create the impression that I was looking to dispose of
my collection.  Quite
to the contrary, I'm still very interested and don't
intend to relinquish it
without putting up a good fight!  :-)

What I was hoping to point up was the fact that there
must be many
recordings out there languishing, as I found them, in
basements and storage
rooms in all sorts of places, because of lack of
resources, interest, etc.,
that if brought to the attention of collectors and
enthusiasts, might
actually be put in hands of those who could actually
do something with them,
even if it's to file away in their own collections.
At least then, should
someone inquire about such recordings in forums like
these, someone else
could actually respond coherently and with additional
information as gleaned
from the recordings in their possession.

As far as it being open, meaning to the public, no,
but I'd be more than
happy to at least attempt to answer any questions.
I'm in the outskirts of
Los Angeles, CA.  Being a third generation Angeleno,
my Japanese is a bit
quaint (my Japanese school teachers were blue-haired
ladies who were old
enough to be able to recite the Emperor Meiji's "Edict
on Education" from
memory) but with my trusty character dictionary, I get
by.  "Tough to
survey" is an understatement.  If ever I'd run into a
cold, stony wall, it
was when I attempted to contact several what I
presumed to be notable
scholars of Japanese popular music who had posted
quite a bit of information
on the Internet, complete with e-mail contact
information.  Surely an
invitation for inquiries, right?  Wrong.  Not even a
"sorry, can't help you"
or a "your Japanese is horrific and unintelligible."
Then perhaps (though I
doubt it), I just haven't hit on the right "expert."

I know the website that Steve refers to...it went dark
within weeks of my
having discovered it.  If only I'd known...  I have
managed to snag a
handful of mp3s of 78-era Japanese pop music, the
source of which shall
remain nameless.  There is an elderly gentleman in his
mid-80's in Japan who
had been trying with little success to post mp3s or
midis of older Japanese
recordings on his website, but after running into so
many copyright
roadblocks, has pretty much conceded defeat.
Unfortunately, his entire
website is in Japanese, but he gives a biography
including his time in the
Japanese military during WWII, and a rather
comprehensive discography of
pre-war popular recordings he painstakingly
key-punched from handwritten
notes.  Almost 20,000 lines and eight fields across,
by no means a small
feat.  On top of that, he claims to have handwritten
notes for post-war
popular recordings as well, but feels he's too old to
even begin attempting
to key-punch them in their entirety and to his
satisfaction.

Mark Takasugi