At 11:33 PM 2/2/2005 -0500, Steven C. Barr wrote:
> [...]

There is a huge difference between an audio-taper potentiometer and a
loudness control. A loudness control attempts to adjust the frequency
response to match the equal-loudness hearing curves at different levels. It
is attempting to compensate for the differing frequency sensitivity of the
human ear at different levels. Fletcher and Munson first determined this in
1933.

This was at the top of Google and shows what I'm talking about:
http://www.sfu.ca/sonic-studio/handbook/Equal_Loudness_Contours.html

The audio taper pot just makes the voltage divider ratio more convenient to
the logarithmic way we hear levels. It does not do any frequency contouring.

Cheers,

Richard

Richard L. Hess                           email: [log in to unmask]
Vignettes