Lois,

I think it probably can, but it is rather complicated to install. You would
need some help from systems experts, and even then they might not know
exactly what you need.

What you might consider is seeing if your library would fund a consultant
to come in an set up a fairly straightforward open source publishing system
for you. Depending on what you want, you might be able to do this for as
little as $1000 plus travel expenses.

Another option is that a very good friend of mine is now Assistant Dean of
the Library for digital stuff at UM. A colleague of hers has put together
an open source xml publishing tool called, for now, TEIpublisher. They are
also using it for EAD. I'll contact her to see if she might be able to help
someone on a sister campus.

Daniel

At 01:48 PM 2/8/2005, you wrote:
>Truly yours,
>Lois Peterson
>Frederick Douglass Library
>University of Maryland Eastern Shore
>Princess Anne, MD  21853
>

>Daniel,
>
>I still don't have much money to purchase anything like Xmetal or other
>parsers (?), but I ran across "Sleepycat" that comes out of Berkeley and
>an open source. Apparently it was done by Michael Olson.
>
>Do you think it capable of handling the EAD material easily?
>
>Thanks,
>Lois Peterson

Daniel V. Pitti, Associate Director
Institute for Advanced Technology in the Humanities
319 Alderman Library
P.O. Box 400115
University of Virginia
Charlottesville, Virginia 22911-4115