Lois,

If you are looking at searching EAD, one alternative you might explore
would be eXist (another open source database that is available at
http://exist.sourceforge.net).  While we are not currently searching EAD
documents using the setup (we're just in the beginning stages of our EAD
program), we do have a system that contains over 250 TEI-Lite-encoded
interviews, some of which are pretty long.   Using eXist, I was able to
program a system that searches both tags and attributes and thanks to
eXist's indexing, the searching is extremely fast.  I am hopeful that,
as soon as we begin having EAD documents, we will be able to adapt the
system to search them also.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Stephen Westman
Digital Information Services Librarian