http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-type-vocabulary/

> If that's right, then here
> you're just introducing another element to hold content that could
just
> as easily be coded directly in mods:genre.  And you're moving the
> problem (which is how to validate the content of the node based on
the
> authority) to that schema.

That is precisely the bug/feature dichotomy. If the foreign genre terms
etc. are in separate schemata, the maintainers of MODS do not have to
keep their schema in sync with controlled vocabularies outside their
purview.

> Right, so again you want to make the instance (and everything that
goes
> along with that; from editing to query to processing) more complex
> make the other stuff "easier"?

Namespaces make obvious the complexity inherent in supporting multiple
vocabularies, I think.

> The problem isn't really that complicated in the abstract (e.g.
> notwithstanding any implementation details) is it?

Yes. From the user guidelines, here are the possible values for the
authority attribute on <genre>:
http://www.loc.gov/marc/sourcecode/genre/genresource.html
Even using RNG, you must admit it would not be practical to support all
those vocabularies within the MODS schema.

--Andy