Aren't we getting too complicated here?

An XSLT processor can distinguish between one or more than one
occurrence of a particular element and group the occurrences as
appropriate, yes? Bruce?

So, why not:

<name type="personal">
   <namePart type="given" script="xx">John</namePart>
   <namePart type="family" script="xx">Doe</namePart>
   <namePart type="given" script="zz">XXX</namePart>
   <namePart type="family" script="zz">YYY</namePart>
</name>

Then the XSLT for Journal A will have:

1) the default script for this journal is "xx"

2) print <namePart script="" or script="xx">

3) continue printing on the same line " "<namePart
script="anything else">

While the XSLT for Journal B will have:

1) the default script for this journal is "xx"

2) If existing, print <namePart script="xx">

3) else, print <namePart script="" or script="something else">

That's from a purely MODS perspective.

Adding MADS into the picture might make it more complicated.

Are there plans to enable the use of MADS from within an
OpenDocument, Bruce? I would then guess that it is up to the
particular processor (say, OpenOffice.org) as to how much
information it transfers from a MADS record into the MODS record
in a particular document. Just the authoritative name;
authoritative name plus variants in other scripts, if present;
authoritative plus all variants; etc.

Does this all make sense or have I missed something big (quite
likely, I been waaay out of the loop for a while here.)

Doug Morrison-Cleary