From: Metadata Object Description Schema List [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On
Behalf Of Andrew E Switala
Sent: Monday, February 21, 2005 2:05 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MODS] OpenDocument, MODS and Remaining Issues

Of course. I should have made explicit that the string-manipulation is
done on the abbreviated name, not the full form of the name:

<authority>
  <name type="personal">
    <namePart type="given">Bob T.</namePart>
    <namePart type="family">Smith</namePart>
  </name>
</authority>
<variant type="abbreviation">
  <name type="personal">
    <namePart type="given">R. T.</namePart>
    <namePart type="family">Smith</namePart>
  </name>
</variant>

(The record for Shin Ryu-un from an earlier post is another example of
the abbreviation needing to be made explicit.)

--Andy

>>> [log in to unmask] 02/21/05 1:49 PM >>>
Actually, wouldn't "Smith, Bob" become "Smith, R." if converted to
initials? This stuff is always much more complicated than it looks at
first
glance.

Stephen