Has anyone had experience with any of the few really good software
packages that are available for recording studio management? The best
ones are very good at managing everything from inventory to tape
libraries, including track sheets, track notes, even console and
outboard gear setup and management. All the gory details of sample
rates, noise reduction, etc. are a natural part of that. I'm not
suggesting that anyone use the packages for managing very large audio
archives, just that there may be some real lessons to be learned (for
that matter, also learned not to use) by examining how people have
already tried to solve this in the commercial world.

I agree with Richard about option #3 personally, but it seems to me that
it is the only way, nasty as it is, that has real long-term legs to it.
What we really need is a program (s) that seamlessly link databases with
the audio file / text / visual (whatever type), and doesn't require a
database expert to operate. I can't see how that is really possible any
other way, what with changing digital standards. While I live in fear of
the deadly 'single database file', it at least, if planned properly,
could be arranged so that as ASCII information it could be imported to
any reasonable future database. Further, until everyone everywhere
agrees to exactly what would be included in META information without
exception, there could be no way of conforming older files to the
'standard' without opening and changing every file. Better to make the
file and handle it as little as humanly possible. Databases can do
global changes rather more easily.

I know, I know, IT .... Nasty stuff just keeps getting in the way ! ...
:>)