This is the book...I'm a member, and if we decide to do this, can order
on my membership...

Describing Archives: A Content Standard

A product of the CUSTARD project (Canadian-U.S. Task Force on Archival
Description), and funded by the National Endowment for the Humanities,
Describing Archives: A Content Standard (DACS) is designed to facilitate
consistent, appropriate, and self-explanatory description of archival
materials and creators of archival materials. It can be applied to all
types of material at all levels of description. Although the rules can
be used for any type of descriptive output, examples of the application
of the rules are provided for two widely used structure standards, MARC
21 and Encoded Archival Description (EAD). DACS will replace Archives,
Personal Papers, and Manuscripts (APPM) as a content standard for
catalog records. The volume consists of three parts: "Describing
Archival Materials," "Describing Creators," and "Forms of Names."
Separate sections discuss levels of description and the importance of
access points to the retrieval of descriptions. Appendices include a
glossary, list of companion standards, and crosswalks to APPM, ISAD(G),
ISAAR(CPF), MARC 21, and EAD.

Publisher: Society of American Archivists (2004)
291 pp., Soft cover

Nonmember price: $49.00
SAA Member price: $35.00

Product Code: 436