> Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 17:44:40 +0000
> From: Dr Robert Sanderson <[log in to unmask]>
>
> >> 1:  A way to match every single record
> >
> > I suggest cql.alwaysMatches="*" as one simple implementation will
> > cause the creation of a real index with some canned value and we
> > can't predict what that value might be.  So, a wildcard is the
> > best way to find it.
>
> Actually, do we even need the alwaysMatches index? We can do this
> with:
>
> cql.anyField = "*"
>
> Of course, an implementation that didn't know that people might send
> this to match everything could throw a fit.

_If_ we accept the searching-for-"*" approach, then I agree that we
don't need a special index.  However, as this is clearly a
special-case search, I would be much more comfortable having it
provoked by a special-case query that spells out precisely what's
wanted.  Apart from anything else, it's more likely to get implemented
that way.

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor  <[log in to unmask]>  http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "He was a quintessentially Anglican archbishop - quite
         worldly, quite gossipy, extremely decent, undogmatic, kind,
         conscientious, unvisionary, patriotic" -- Telegraph's obituary
         for Archbishop Runcie.