Hi,

I'm brazilian and I'm just begining to learn about EAD. In Brazil we do
not have tradition using EAD. I apologize in advance if my questions are
too elementary.
I intend to use EAD DTD to encode a finding aid � kind of a general
inventory of fonds an archival institution, I mean a general list of the
fonds of the archives, that ISAD(G) calls a first level description.
To encode my document, I have to create an <archdesc> element and a
this case, the EAD Application Guidelines states that the LEVEL
attribute for <archdesc> has to apply to the highest level in the
hierarchy and the same attribute for <c> has to designate the following
levels, the parts of the whole.
The problem is: being the document to codify a list of fonds d�archives,
each one described separately, it seems logical to set the level
attribute of <c> as LEVEL="fonds". My doubt is how to configure the
level attribute of <archdesc>. The doubt comes from the fact that a
content for "level" does not exist that relates to the totality of the
fonds d�archives of an archival institution. In the case of an inventory
of the Archives, the "level" attributes of the parts (<c>) must be
filled with the expression "fonds". But and the "level" attribute of the
set, or either, of <archdesc>? How it must be filled? I must use
"otherlevel"? In the case to use "otherlevel", does it exist some
content or standardized expression, that I could use to denote the
complete set of fonds belonging to the Archives?

Thanks,

Jos� Guilherme