It was just brought to my attention that 'alt' was added to ISO 639-2 for Southern Altai, but this addition never got reflected in the ISO 639-2 web site. (And, as a result, in ISO/DIS 639-3 I incorrectly list 'alt' as not being in part 2.)

I've appended Havard's announcement below.

Peter

Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 22:05:13 +0200

From: H?vard Hjulstad<[log in to unmask]>

Subject: New item in ISO 639 - Southern Altai

To: "IETF-languages list" <[log in to unmask]>,

"LangTag (Unicode)" <[log in to unmask]>, "ISO639-2 list"

<[log in to unmask]>, "ISO639 list" <[log in to unmask]>, "ISO639 JAC list"

Cc: Susan Summer <[log in to unmask]>

The ISO 639 Registration Authorities' Joint Advisory Committee (JAC) has approved the following:

Alpha-3 identifier: alt

(No alpha-2 identifier has been assigned.)

English name: Southern Altai

French name: alta� du Sud

Southern Altai is a Northern Turkic language used in Asian Russia.

For further information about the JAC and the maintenance of ISO 639, please see http://lcweb.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/iso639jac.html

Best regards,

H�vard Hjulstad