To summarise, so that I'm sure I understand the discussion:

* Servers should allow clients to request extra fields individually
* Servers should allow clients to request packages of extra fields
* Servers should explain the extra fields/packages available
* Servers should not return extra fields without being asked
* Clients may request extra fields at any time
* Client identification is an extra field
* Server identification is:
     1.  In the explain record
     2.  An extra field in any response

If so, then that's good, because that's the status quo :)

Rob

       ,'/:.          Dr Robert Sanderson ([log in to unmask])
   ,'--/::(@)::.      Dept. of Computer Science, Room 805
,'---/::::::::::.    University of Liverpool
____/:::::::::::::.  L5R Shop: http://www.cardsnotwords.com/
I L L U M I N A T I