Whew.  In case anyone encounters a similar problem, I figured it out -- the
thead-row-entry construction immediately follows the did in the ancestor c0#
of the items that need the column headings. In other words, my inventory has
alpha divisions at the c02 level and items are enumerated at the c03 level
each using 2 container elements (Box and Folder), so in the ancestor c01,
following the did, I insert

<c01 level="series">
    <did>
        <unittitle>Correspondence-Subject Files</unittitle>
    </did>
    <thead>
        <row>
            <entry>Box</entry>        <-- these are the column headings for
all children
            <entry>Folder</entry>    <-- these are the column headings for
all children
        </row>
    </thead>
    <c02>
        <did>
            <unittitle>A</unittitle>
        </did>
        <c03>
            <did>
                <unittitle>Adams, Walter Burt</unittitle>
                    <unitdate normal="1958">1958</unitdate>
                    <container type="Box">1</container>
                    <container type="Folder">1</container>
            </did>
        </c03>

That yields the correct column headings.

Michele