At 12:32 PM 6/24/2005, Alec McLane wrote:

>While this is enough to record, say, one side of a cassette tape, it may
>not be enough for a 10" reel at 3 3/4 ips, nor is it enough for those few
>occasions when we record from 95- or 125-min DATs.

Hi, Alec,

May I respectfully submit that there needs to be some sanity check as
to what you're doing...If you had a thesis that was typewritten on
one side of the page, would you scan the backs of the pages and save
them? Well, that's what you're doing  when you record a cassette or a
3.75 in/s reel at 88.2/24 (or 88.2/32). I wouldn't save anything
archival at 88.2/32 unless it was born digital that way.

There is an argument to use 44.1/24 for bringing in cassette tapes if
you're record levels are kept low to preserve any accidental
transient. I often do that. Unless these are exception music
cassettes, I wouldn't transfer or waste the space to store the extra
resolution of noise.

I'm the first one to select 88.2/24 for 15 in/s (and even some 7.5 in/s) tapes.

I don't see a 2GB file limit in Samplitude,  so I haven't researched
it, and I haven't yet hit a 4GB limit, but it may be there (or not)
--- I seem to recall Samplitude solved that in version 5 or so...I
just loaded version 8.

You really should be transferring DATs digitally. Why add a D->A and
an A->D step? If you're concerned about sonic purity, that does far
more than anything else here to degrade the signal.

IF you are hearing differences between 44.1 and 88.2 on 3.75 in/s
reels, you really need to check your equipment. I assume you're using
the same converters for both sample rates.

Cheers,

Richard

Richard L. Hess                           email: [log in to unmask]
Vignettes