At 10:53 AM 6/25/2005 +0000, Don Cox wrote:
>On 25/06/05, Richard L. Hess wrote:
>
> > Unless you're planning on digitizing the bias, I don't see the need
> > for recording at a bandwidth that the reproducer isn't reproducing.
>
>Is it possible to digitize the bias? I would expect the player to filter
>it out, but if you could capture it, it would be useful for correcting
>speed variations.

Subject changed both to reflect change of content and uncertainty about the
topic.

If you mean the tape bias, it is certainly measurable in the output of a
suitable analogue recorder; I used it on my Tandberg open-reel decks
(detected by oscilloscope) to verify/refine head alignment. Given a
suitable sampling rate, it would digitize along with the signal.

Mike
http://www.mrichter.com/