From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

RA Friedman wrote:

 noticed the primary
> motor drive belt was flaking. Upon closer examination, I could see fibrous
> material that looked like woven cotton and immediately panicked: Asbestos!

----- this is quite unreasonable. Asbestos is a marvellous material when
handled correctly, i.e. if blue asbestos, do not crush while breathing in. It
all depends on the length of small fibers given off when crushing. But there
are so many sources of small fibres anyway that running a flaking belt would
not contribute significantly.

> I emailed Eastman Kodak to find out if they had any information in their
> corporate archives. I was given a polite "no" and given the age of the
> product, I should politely forget about it. I wrote back and told them this
> was not acceptable. Since the company had not changed hands and the product
> was still in use by me, I feel an answer is in order. I requested that they
> direct me to the next level of management.
>
> I've received no answer. Any suggestions?

----- if you are scared, use another belt.

The reason nitrate film survived for so long, even though it was highly
inflammable and (if the stock was not manufactured correctly) prone to self-
destruction, was that it had mechanical properties far surpassing the di-
acetate and tri-acetate that "safety-mongerers" tried to sell. But people
took precautions. Your 16 mm film is likely to be an acetate, because the
forces developed in 16 mm did not require the high strength. Whew, you are
safe there.

Kind regards,

George