I also would never trust DATA backup for longer than 5 years.
The past two places I worked I found this out the hard way.
Trying to restore 5 and 8 years old data respectively yielded horrible
results.
We then implemented a policy to have all Data tapes checked and re
backed up to new AIT tapes with the understanding that those tapes
would then be checked in 5 years time.

-Ken