"Steven C. Barr" wrote:

> Also, when you think about it, the reason for this sudden interest
> inextending copyright terms is quite simple!
>
> At the end of this year, the first recordings by Elvis Presley
> will slip into the public domain in much of the world (except
> the US, of course!). These recordings are still "cash cows"
> for whatever descendant firm of Eldridge Johnson, et al, may
> hold the copyrights...
>
> Steven C. Barr

I'd be happy if a compromise were reached, such as a 1950 cutoff....much that's
worthwhile from that point on is being kept in print by the copyright holders,
and I could live happily without producing reissues of people like Guy Mitchell
and Don Cornell and Patti Page (among the various warblers I've done in the
last couple of years). But it cuts off a lot of good early mono classical
material which probably is of limited interest to the big fat
musikgesellschaeften.

dl