My pal Joe was in the music business at the time this happened.  Better we
await a comment from him.

Steve

----- Original Message -----
From: "James L Wolf" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, June 20, 2005 3:43 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Copyright wrongs: we can't let the music industry
suits stifle creativity

I was thinking the the kind of scenario that Mike outlined below, basically
a mistaken PD attribution, is not a a "legitimate" PD. Thanks for the
clarification, Mike.

Steve, can you give me a nutshell version of the Kalmus story? Again, the
only way I can see anything going out of PD in the US is by the owner
proving it shouldn't have gone in the first place.

James

At 02:03 PM 6/20/2005 -0400, James L Wolf wrote:

>Steve mentioned some copyrights being retrieved, but that was in Europe.
>I've never heard of a legitamate PD item being retrieved/recaptured in the
>US.

Note that "legitimate" is an operative word here. That is, works mistakenly
assumed to be public domain have been found still to have protection and
have been withdrawn. IIRC, "It's a Wonderful Life" was reissued as PD
because the copyright had not been renewed. Later it was found that the
music in the film was still under copyright (which had been renewed) and
the reissues were withdrawn.

Mike
http://www.mrichter.com/