Print

Print


I apologize for any misunderstanding.

The higher sampling rate does not remove any noise at all.
In fact it captures MORE noise - noise that you cannot hear
with your ears, but that a well-designed DSP algorithm CAN
"hear".

Because the DSP algorithm can hear the noise better, it can
also remove the noise better.  The NOISE signal does not
look like an AUDIO signal when captured correctly.  Because
the noise signal does not look like the audio signal, you
can remove the noise better without affecting the audio
signal.

If you use lower sampling rates and transducers (cartridges)
with 20 kHz bandwidth, the NOISE and AUDIO signals look
almost the same - so as you try to remove more noise, you
also end up removing some signal at the same time.

Our equipment is state-of-the-art, borrowing from industries
ranging from biotechnology (cleaning solutions for organic
media) to nanotechnology (vibration isolation and microscopy).
We even have deployed semiconductor cleanroom equipment for
some processes.  Our studio is a cross between an audio lab
and a physics lab.

At The Audio Archive, we have performed countless experiments
and developed unique equipment and processes that allow us
to remove more noise and preserve more audio signal.  We
would be happy to demonstrate our ability to remove noise
from your recordings so that you can see just how well our
unique processes work, and the benefits of using high
resolution transducers together with high sample rates.

Eric Jacobs
The Audio Archive


-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Goran Finnberg
Sent: Saturday, June 25, 2005 2:07 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] 2GB limit for audio file formats


Eric Jacobs wrote:

> As a rule of thumb, I do find that higher sampling rates
> of 88.2 kHz or more make a considerable difference when it
> comes to removing impulse noise on mechanical carriers
> (records with pops, clicks, and crackle).

I donīt know if I understand you correctly.

If I take at face value what you say above I get the impression that the
higher sampling frequency somehow magically will REMOVE impulse noise
from any source input to an ADC.

My experience, Weiss ADC MK2, Lavry engineering AD 122-96 MK III, DCS
904D, with a suitable DAC set up to alter the gain less than 0.05 dB,
complete AD-DA cycle, from the source input to the AD then what I input
I get back even at 44.1 kHz sampling frequency.

The concept that the sampling frequency will in practice remove part of
the input makes me feel that the equipment used by you must be somehow
broken.

If you wish to remove impulse noise I would still recommend the Sonic
Solutions NoNoise package that I feel, still after all these years 1994,
will do a most excellent job. Cedar is no better and in many cases worse
imo. Iīm thinking about Cedar for windows here. While Algorithmix are
very good too.

> However, do higher sampling rates help remove broadband
> noise on magnetic media?

Certainly not.


--
Best,

Goran Finnberg
The Mastering Room AB
Goteborg
Sweden

E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Learn from the mistakes of others, you can never live long enough to
make them all yourself.    -   John Luther