For motion picture film storage, best practice is to transfer the film from
reels to cores, and store cans horizontally on the shelf.  The opposite seems to
be true of audio - that it should be on reels and stored vertically.
Since the 1/4 mag we have won't be accessed except for preservation,
having them on reels for play-ability purposes is not necessary.  Then
why not store on hubs horizontally so that the element's weight is
evenly supported?  Is the degree of proximity to metal shelving a
concern?   I am certain there is an obvious reason - and
anticipate being enlightened.  And if recommending reels for storage - is the
chief advantage to metal rather than innert plastic a durability issue?

Also, in quickly looking through the ARSC-L Archive since 2003, I don't see
overwhelming recommendations/consensus on archival storage containers.
 If an organization cannot afford the $15 per container for vented
polypropylene plastic, are there specific reasons to not use acid-free
boxes such as made by Gaylord?  See:
http://www.gaylordmart.com/adblock.aspabid=441&sid=3E1D1EC66C5147C689899819
Has anyone tried these out?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.