I’ve been interacting with some people connected with the Motion Picture Arts Association regarding some of their language coding needs. One need that they have is to indicate for the language of the audio track of a film that the film is silent. I suggested that they might leave the field blank, but they don’t like that solution since films without dialogue are very much the exception, and so it would look like the field had simply not been populated.

I’m not sure this is the best solution for them, but I wondered about a special ID (like und or mul) meaning “this content is non-linguistic in nature” Thoughts?

(BTW, they sent me a table of things they need to code for, and it includes “Serbo-Croatian”, for content in which the dialogue can’t be identified more specifically than that.)

Thanks.

Peter Constable

GIFT | GPTS | MICROSOFT