Marcus,

It sounds like you are using the eadpersonxm.xml template from the EAD2002 Cookbook (which, of course, is an EAD2002 document), but are still using an ead.rlx file created from EAD 1.0.  I believe the attributes and tags you mention were all new to EAD2002, so they won't validate against the rlx file from the earlier version of EAD.  The simple solution is to download the ead.rlx file for EAD2002 from the EAD2002 Cookbook and replace it in XMetaL's Rules folder.

Good luck,

Mike Rush