There was a comment from Bruce about how the MODS list is set up, so I
thought I'd respond.

We set it up to approve subscriptions because we have a lot of problems
with spam coming into LC's email. We want to monitor that people who
subscribe are actually interested in the list and aren't subscribing just
to send out junk or advertisements or something. That is also why we limit
ability to post to subscribers. Having moderated lists here for almost 15
years, we've found this is the best solution (outside of approving
messages that go out, which is too time consuming) for having a high
quality list.

On the issue of viewing the archives, we decided to make them public in
case anyone who is interested but doesn't want to get the frequent
messages wants to see them. So now that has been changed.

Rebecca