I think a core issue in the discussion is that a hdg of:    Diana,
Princess of Wales, 1961-
does contain a factual error.  It isn't a cosmetic error.  It certainly
isn't an error from the sense of establishing a unique heading for
control purposes, but the heading truly is incorrect.  She died back in
1997.   There's almost no way the heading as it currently stands doesn't
draw attention to itself because of this error.

If the heading were Diana, Prince of Wales, 1961-   it would be no less
unique - - but doubly incorrect.   We [generally] seek to correct
headings when they are wrong.  The proposed policy allows that.  While
not ignoring the other considerations which have been well stated and
clear, to me the need to have the heading correct is what wins the
argument in the end.

Daniel

Daniel CannCasciato
Head of Cataloging