Hi All,

I've enjoyed the discussion and was almost convinced against the
proposed policy, contrary to my longstanding desire for it.  Sherman
Clarke, from Art NACO almost got me completely moved with his posting on
the PCC list.

However, I'm holding on to my support for the proposed change.  I
think, however, we could word it somewhat differently, to help
catalogers make judgments that are in line with the shared environment
in which we work.  Perhaps something like:

  Allow the optional addition of dates (birth, death or both) to
existing
  personal name headings at will.  (LCRI 22.17 that requires all new
headings
  to have dates added when these are readily available).  Catalogers
are urged
  to keep in mind the requisite maintenance imposed upon (potentially)
thousands of
  libraries when such changes are made.  Please keep this workload
factor in mind
  when considering the benefit of adding dates to existing headings.

Somewhat loosey-goosey, but a lot of good faith cooperation is just
that.  Overall,  I support the proposal.

Daniel

Daniel CannCasciato
Head of Cataloging
Central Washington University Library